Zara Fashion Show
A colourful fashion show was held last week at the Pearl Continental Hotel in Karachi, featuring collections by numerous local designers. The designers showcased lovely formal outfits with captivating designs and stunning details. Flowy drapes with embellished necklines and intricate details made the dresses really eye-catching. The collections were based in hues of classic blacks, vibrant reds, royal blues, classic beiges and ethereal whites. The embellishments on the traditional outfits were done in ethnic gold and silver. Moreover, classic dabka work was incorporated really well for a more refined look. A wide variety of beautiful materials were used in the collections. The designers who showcased their collections at the fashion show were Monia Farooqi, Emraan Rajput, Nida Khurrum, Deepak & Fahad, Ishtiaq Afzal Khan, Arsalan & Yahsir, and Sanam Agha.
Did You Know?
Here Are Some Interesting And Offbeat Facts About The Oscars, Past And Present:
* Meryl Streep this year extended her lead as the most-nominated performer in Oscar history with her 17th nomination which converted into her 3rd win, for her role as former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady.
* Billy Crystal hosted this year's Oscars show for the ninth time after actor Eddie Murphy pulled out at the last minute. Bob Hope hosted the Academy Awards the most times, 11 by himself and seven with co-hosts.
* Iran's A Separation was the first screenplay written in Farsi to receive an Oscars writing nomination.
* German Oscar-nominated director Wim Wenders' Pina, which showcases the work of the late German choreographer Pina Bausch, was the first 3D film nominated in the documentary feature category.
* The Artist was the 10th predominantly black-and-white film to be nominated for cinematography since 1967, when the separate black-and-white category was eliminated.
Previously nominated: In Cold Blood (1967), The Last Picture Show (1971), Lenny (1974), Raging Bull (1981), Zelig (1983), Schindler's List (1993), The Man Who Wasn't There (2001), Good Night, and Good Luck (2005), and The White Ribbon (2009).
* George Clooney was nominated for the second time in two different categories for two different films in the same year. This year it was as best actor in The Descendants and for adapted screenplay in The Ides of March; in 2005 he won best supporting actor for Syriana and was nominated for original screenplay for Good Night, and Good Luck.
For the first time in Oscars history, nine films were nominated for Best Picture. Over the last two years the number in that category has been increased from five to 10, in theory to increase the range of films which could be short-listed, but the rules were changed after last year to a complicated formula which results in between five and 10 being chosen.
Life & Happiness
How Normal Are Your Manners?
Forgot to RSVP? Get your lesson in life etiquette here…
8 'weird' things that are very, very normal
1. Having double standards. 75% of people who swear in public dislike others doing the same. People do it because they can't get their point of view across and (mistakenly) think swearing has more of an impact.
2. Using manners to get a second date – 87% of men think that manners are a good indication of character in a partner.
3. And over half of women also say their date's manners influence whether they see them again.
4. Ditching your knife when eating. Almost three quarters of people just use a fork in their right hand instead.
5. Failing to be the best guest. 19% of people forget to thank their host for the meal.
6. Being a discourteous commuter. Nearly a third of people say they avoid using public transport because of the rudeness of other passengers.
7. Not stopping for air. 36% of people talk with their mouths full, while 20% cram too much food into their mouths.
8. Lacking in textiquette. 61% of people admit to having bad mobile manners, like testing during meetings.
Convince Someone To See Things From Your Point Of View
1. Listen respectfully – even if you vehemently disagree with the person. Everyone wants to feel heard and understood when they're putting a point across.
2. Explain why you believe that you're right and why you think they aren't.
3. Back up your point with examples. For instance, if you're discussing why you think you should manage a new project, illustrate how your experience or specialist knowledge makes you the perfect choice.
4. The more assertive and confident you are while talking about your idea, the more convincing you'll appear.
5. Use a confident voice and body language. Keep good eye contact and avoid crossing your arms.
6. Respectfully challenge the other person's point of view, and give them the chance to agree with you without undermining them.
Most-Visited Galleries And Museums
1. Louvre Museum, Paris, France
2. British Museum, London, UK
3. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, USA
4. Tate Modern, London, UK
5. National Gallery, London, UK
6. National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, USA
7. Museum of Modern Art, New York, USA
8. Centre Pompidou, Paris, France
9. National Museum of Korea, Seoul, South Korea
10. Musee d'Orsay, Paris, France