|5 Things You Need To Know About Banana
1. A banana is the fruit of a banana plant, a giant plant in the same family as the Lily and the Orchid and comes in three groups.
2. They can be eaten raw, baked in the oven, sautéed or fried.
3. Once peeled, you can prevent a banana from browning by sprinkling citrus juice on it and they are best stored at room temperatures.
4. Bananas are an excellent source of B6 and potassium (especially good if you suffer from gas & bloating), vitamin C, riboflavin, folic acid and magnesium.
5. They could have a slight laxative effect when overripe.
ß There are different kinds of bananas and each type has its own calorie count.
ß In a lady finger banana, for example, there are 95 calories.
ß There are far more calories in a common banana, the kind you would buy at the grocery store. Calorie count: 172. Although there are different kinds of bananas and the calorie count can differ dramatically depending on the size and type of the banana, the average for all bananas on the market today falls around the 184 calorie mark.
ß All of these estimates assume the banana is raw (meaning uncooked) and has been peeled.
An (Old) Apple A Day…
When it comes to getting maximum goodness from your fruit bowl, look to the past. A new study by the Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew and Cranfield University found that the Egremont Russet apple, which dates back to Victorian times, contains 10 items more nutrients than modern varieties.
|HEALTH AND FITNESS