|8 Summer Workout Mistakes
When the going gets hot, you need to have a cool workout plan
1. Sudden change in temperature: People tend to lounge on the beach and then head to the gym. The sudden move to air-conditioned environment from hot outdoors is not healthy. Your body takes a beating as your hydration levels are low. So avoid the midday sun. Cool down before the warm up.
2. Do not jog: It's a mistake many people make jogging outdoors during daytime in summer. People think they are burning fat and giving their bodies a real workout, but all they are doing is depleting their bodies of water and taxing it needlessly.
3. Don't head to the sauna first and then workout: A sauna will dehydrate you and that is not a good condition to begin exercise. Also, a sauna may improve your skin tone by cleansing it but it won't help you lose weight.
4. Lack of hydration: You need to drink at least three litres of water a day. How do you determine if you are dehydrated? Check the colour of your urine. Is it yellow? The deeper the colour, the more dehydrated you are. You need to pass clear urine. Water is life, so drink more of it. Other signs of dehydration are muscle weakness, dizziness and lack of perspiration.
5. Tight sportswear: Do not wear form-fitting clothes in dark colours. Loose and light-coloured clothes that absorb sweat are better for your workouts. The clothes should help cool your skin which, in turn, allows more oxygen-rich blood to be diverted from the muscles and thus helps you stay cool.
6. Wrong shape of sunglasses: Wear wraparound sunglasses that cut out the UV (ultra violet) rays if you are outdoors a lot. If you do not, you will get "sunburn of the eye" which may lead to cataract and eye muscle degeneration. Ensure the sunglasses cut out at least 99 percent of UV. Beware of fake sunglasses which can harm the eyes.
7. Ignoring the heat: The cooling system of the body will fail under extreme conditions and you will feel cramping of muscles or heat exhaustion. Monitor your heart beat and if the pulse is too high, get out of the sun. If you do not feel better after drinking water and cooling down within an hour, seek medical help.
8. Not setting a goal: If you wish to lose a few kilos during summer, set workout goals. Be realistic. If you wish to burn fat or lose weight, you may need a nutritious low-calorie diet to complement weight loss. Each workout has a goal. You can't come in and sprint for two minutes and expect to lose weight.