· 2 medium bitter gourds (karelay), unskinned, sliced into thin rounds
· 1tbsp ginger peeled, julienned
· 8-10 bulbs of garlic, peeled
· 10 green chillies, chopped
· ½ cup lemon juice or white vinegar
· 1tbsp salt
· 1tbsp grated jiggery (gurr)
· 1tbsp oil
· 2tsp red chilli powder
· ¼ tsp turmeric powder
· ¼ tsp asafoetida (heeng) powder
· ½ tsp (total) mixed crushed fenugreek seeds, aniseeds and mustard seeds
· Salt if required later
Mix gourd slices, ginger, garlic, chillies, lemon juice and salt and put the mixture in a sterile airtight jar, with non-metallic lid, shake well and keep aside. Shake twice a day for two to three days, then drain out all water in a dry colander.
Spread out the gourd over a clean kitchen cloth to air out for two to three hours, then put them in a large bowl. Sprinkle masala mixture, jiggery and mix well. Heat oil in a small pan till smoky. Add a pinch or two of asafoetida, keep aside till almost cooled then add to the mixture, stir and mix well. Bottle again in a sterile jar and allow to mellow for two to three days before using.